07 August 2013

This Week in the Country Garden

Finally!  After reading about everyone else in Victoria harvesting their brassicas for weeks if not months, yesterday my Purple Sprouting Broccoli was ready to start picking.  Also a first for quite some time were carrots, baby beetroot (too small to pick really, but I couldn't wait!) and fennel.  These exciting new additions to our recent diet of turnips, silverbeet, leek, parsley and celery made me very happy indeed.

One strange thing I've noticed in the garden however, is that several plants are growing outwards not upwards, lying flat in the beds.  They include some of the fennel, the most recent planting of silverbeet and kale and some celery.  In some cases they are in the same bed as earlier plantings of the same variety, so I assume it's not the soil.  I'm wondering if they were affected by frost?  Any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Lovely pickings. As for your flat plants, I have had parsley do that when it is young but it usually starts to put up some taller shoots as it matures. Not sure about the others though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that once the weather warms up they'll sort themselves out and start growing toward the sun.

      Delete