16 June 2013

Some New Additions

The activity in both Gardens has slowed down significantly in the last couple of weeks, but there are a few new additions, all of which will require patience before we are able to enjoy the fruits of the harvest.

City Garden
There have been three empty pots in the City Garden since that horrible hot week in summer when my apple trees were cooked, so this week when the bare-rooted trees were released, I went out and bought replacements.  I decided against getting apple trees again, and have gone with three dwarf stone fruits - white peach, yellow peach and apricot.  Although they are dwarf, they should still grow to 1.5-2m tall and wide, so will help shade the west facing windows of the living room in summer.  The two peaches are supposed to be early and late harvest, so including the existing nectarine tree, we should hopefully have a good supply of stone fruit across several months in a couple of years.

Country Garden
After dreaming about being able to harvest my own asparagus for years, I've finally planted a bed of asparagus crowns.  We can't harvest them this year as they need to just grow and establish themselves, but hopefully in about 18 months time we'll be picking the freshest of fresh spears.  Can't wait!

5 comments:

  1. I would love to grow more fruit. I guess I could in my front garden but that would mean pulling out the established natives and I'm just not quite up for that at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really interested to see how much fruit these dwarf trees produce to see if it's really worth bothering with them. We pulled out a crab apple in our front garden to plant natives, so I completely agree with you about keeping the front garden for that!

      Delete
  2. Oooh, growing asparagus. I can't wait to have the right amount of land/soil to do that! Good luck with it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really have no idea how much each crown will produce, to know how much space needs to be allocated to them to make it worthwhile. I wonder if you would get much of a result if you planted one in a pot?

      Delete
  3. Sorry, I just realised how lame the photo on this post is! It is pretty much impossible to take a good photo of a young, dormant fruit tree, so I thought a pic of the label would be cool, but it's not really...!

    ReplyDelete