05 June 2013

May in the Vineyard

Some people approach winter in the vineyard with anticipation.  It's a time for meditation, reflection, turning thoughts to other creative endeavours in life while slowly, methodically working along every single vine to prune it, reshaping for next season.  

I do know people who actually think like that.  To be honest, I don't think I'd be in their camp, or at least not for long stretches of time, and only on still, sunny days!  Needless to say, with that attitude I have had nothing to do with the pruning work that has just started in the vineyard photographed here.  But thought I'd show a couple of photos to remind, once again, of the intensive labour and care that goes into wine production.  

The top photo is spur pruning, where key uprights (spurs) from the main horizontal cane (cordon) are retained and are the shooting point for next season's growth.  Below is cane pruning, where the cordons are replaced with new canes from the previous season, trained out along guide wires, from which the new season's growth will occur.

1 comment:

  1. Every winter I struggle to do the same in my orchard. We actually considered, when we first moved here, clearing the south slope to grow grapes. For wine grapes, at this altitude, in this location, we'd be restricted to mostly Pinot Noir or Chardonnay. Neither of which excite me. Neither does walking down rows and rows of vines with pruners at hand. I've seen it done, and those that expert at it can make really short time of it...for me though, it makes me want to hide in the barn! Glad you found some help, and I enjoyed the photos of the different types of pruning too!

    ReplyDelete