19 April 2013

Friday Night Dinner

This is my favourite dinner to cook on autumn/ winter Friday evenings after a day in the Country Garden.  It's my take on a Silverbeet and Goats Cheese Pie made up with brightly coloured silverbeet (I love that you can see the red stalks when you cut it) and whatever else is available in the garden.  This one also has leek, celery, chives and parsley in it, all mixed up with Holy Goat Fromage Frais.  

I often make my own pastry, using the fabulously simple recipe in Sustainable Table, but otherwise use delicious Careme puff pastry from the Barossa Valley.  It's the only pastry I've found that is just made out of the same ingredients that I use to make pastry at home.  Have you ever looked at the ingredient list on a standard frozen pastry? It's frightening!!  Careme is quite expensive (OK, about twice the price of other stuff) but it's more than twice as good, and when most ingredients in the pie come from the garden, it's quite easy to justify.

6 comments:

  1. that looks very tasty. I am not so good at puff but i do always make my own shortcrust. Thanks for the link sustainable table looks good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's a really great book by a fantastic organisation, lots of recipes from people in Melbourne doing interesting sustainability things, and also lots of good advice about food sustainability. There are some good basic recipes in the back too, including a quick puff pastry (the one I use) and the chef's version.

      Delete
  2. Here in the USA I believe we call silverbeet spinach but what would we call rocket? I see it on your list of plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might call rocket Arugula? We have spinach here that is different from silverbeet. I think our silverbeet is also called chard, or else chard is a very similar variety. Its leaves are bigger than spinach and have a thick stem and central "spine" that is often a different colour to the leaf part.

      Delete
    2. Ah, now I get it. We have a very hardy variety of lettuce called Arugula, probably Rocket. And yes, looks like silverbeet is what we call Swiss Chard. How fun! Thanks. I hope to try your recipes.

      Delete
    3. This recipe is great to make with whatever leafy vegies you have handy, so making it with spinach, silverbeet/chard or kale (is that called the same in the US?) all taste great. Maybe even sorrel, although I've never tried that. Hope you like it if you try it!

      Delete