02 February 2013

This Week in the Country Garden

I woke up to the sound of rain on Friday morning, and quickly realising that I didn't have to go to work (after a "strenuous" first two and a half days back following five weeks holiday!) I snuggled into the quilt and decided to not leave the house all day, and possibly not even get out of my pyjamas.  

Then as I was reading a gardening book while having a cuppa I started to get the itch.  Maybe I could just take it easy in the morning then head to the Country Garden for a short time in the afternoon... or if I just got up and headed straight out I'd be back by early afternoon... although it would be good to go via the nursery and get some replacement seedlings and do some cleaning up of the lettuces that have shot to seed in the last weeks of hot weather and perhaps get those extra herbs that the chef had asked for...  Before I knew it, I was up, out the door and excitedly on my way (and yes I did get dressed first!)  Suddenly I couldn't wait to get back into the garden for the first big day since I'd been back from holidays, and ended up spending the entire day in the garden, coming home with a good harvest of delicious summer vegies.

The always fabulous banana capsicum
Miniature pumpkins - very cute, but not much flesh! 
The corn is a work in progress 
So are the cucumbers
But we could live off of beans at the moment!
Some new friends to add a splash of colour
And look how beautiful the Pinot looks at the moment 

6 comments:

  1. Isn't that funny - I've got cucumbers galore but my beans aren't doing nearly so well. Your corn is well ahead of mine - Its looking beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got excited when I first saw the corn but I think it still has a long way to go. I'm trying to harvest enough cucumbers to make some of your bread and butter pickles!

      Delete
  2. Lovely produce, fab looking corn. I like Liz have good cucumbers and no beans at all. the heat, some insect and a wallaby cleaned up the lot of them. Do you have wallaby problems? Or do your raised beds deal with the problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beds have been great to minimise critter attack. We were mainly concerned about rabbits and the beds have stopped them, but just recently there has been a bit of attack from above, probably from a kangaroo, so we've had to put some higher wire around a few things. It sounds like you might have got the upper hand with your wallaby friend now?

      Delete
  3. I was just at Harris farm and the beans were $10 a kilo! I can't believe it. I think I might go and sing sweetly to the beans for encouragement?

    Love the flamingo does it work like a scarecrow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well everything in that bed is looking quite healthy, so perhaps it has some scarecrow qualities! Let me know what songs you sing to your beans, I might try it with my zucchinis!

      Delete