26 January 2013

What a Difference a (Scorchingly Hot) Month Makes!

Happy New Year all!  

I've just returned from a fabulous month's holiday in New Zealand (hence my blogging silence), and realised that it's obviously been REALLY hot here while I was away!!  We heard about extreme temperatures and the terrible bush fires in Australia, but it didn't really sink in until I walked back into the City Garden and saw that not only were three apple trees dead, but the apples on them had been burned to a black crisp!  In fact everything in pots has pretty much had it, including a magnolia tree and some herbs, and the lemon tree is looking dodgy too.  I've also lost the entire potato crop and the tomato plants.  
Out of the heat, though, has come a surprise.  The turmeric that I'd given up on in December has sprouted and looks quite healthy.  I have no idea how to tell when it is ready though, I assume it will get quite a bit bigger than this?  Liz of Suburban Tomato (or anyone else who's grown it) if you read this could you please give me some advice???
The other plant that's thriving is the beautiful Ficafolia in the front garden.  It's flowering for the very first time and looks amazing.
So it's not all doom and gloom in the City Garden.  Most plants have survived, and I now have an opportunity to rethink how best to make use of the limited space that I have. 

I hope others haven't lost too much in your gardens in the heat (or crazily the extreme cold in the northern hemisphere!) or worse still, been affected by the fires.

Best wishes for a brilliant 2013!

2 comments:

  1. Yikes, it looks like the heat has done a lot. But always amazing that somethings seem to do better or even thrive... for us it was the apples last year.

    I wish you generous, soaking rains, but not too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had the first rain in a month last night. Probably not soaking but enough to temporarily stop the cricket game being played in Melbourne!

      Delete