23 December 2012

2012 - It's a Wrap!

A year ago I decided to start writing a blog as a way to keep track of what was happening in both the City and Country Gardens.  I didn't expect much but thought it would be interesting to use it as a way of exploring my interest in gardening and food sustainability.  

When I started it I didn't understand the whole thing about connecting with other blogs and the communities it could open up.  I was amazed when the first person that I wasn't related to or friends with wrote a comment, and then slowly a whole new world opened up and I have now become part of an online community of lovely people doing really interesting things with their lives as well as having a great journal of the past year in the gardens.  Along the way I've learnt heaps, pondered problems with others and shared monthly updates on ways of living more slowly and thoughtfully.  Not only that, but I've written an article for a book and have just been interviewed for a gardening magazine (both yet to be published).

In the City Garden the produce was boosted by the addition of three gorgeous, hilarious chickens that we hadn't even contemplated this time last year; and from the Country Garden we managed to feed two households almost entirely and provide part of the requirements of a small restaurant throughout the whole year.  And then somehow to finish the year off, after meeting several fabulous farmers during the year, I ended up becoming one (well a farmer but to be honest probably not a fabulous one!) even if only for a short time.  Who'd have thought I'd end the year with "Learnt to drive a tractor" as one of my achievements?!

Thank you so much to everyone who has taken the time to read my blog this past year.  It's been so lovely to "meet" you.  I can't wait to see what 2013 brings and to share more adventures here!  

All my very best wishes for the festive season and for the year to come.

Tobi x

12 comments:

  1. It sounds like 2012 has been an amazing for you. :-)

    I must say that I'm a tad envious that you are a full-time farmer now and I am not, yet. ;-) Also, learning to drive a tractor sounds way awesome. :-)

    Here's to an even more exciting 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathryn. It was great meeting you this year and finding out about life and alpacas in Colorado! Hope that Wingspan keeps you warm over winter! ;)
      x

      Delete
  2. Thank you for an awesome blog this year, have really enjoyed reading it. Have an awesome Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following my blog this year Jackie, really glad you enjoyed it. Have a fabulous Christmas. x

      Delete
  3. Thankyou for all your posts this year - I've found them entertaining, informative and often eye opening so thankyou and I look forward to reading about what 2013 brings for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz, from one Melbourne gardener to another! I've really enjoyed reading your blog too and being able to compare notes with you. Have a great year.

      Delete
  4. From one chicken-keeping tractor driver, to another, Merry Christmas! Thank your support this year. I've loved reading your blog, and seeing your gardens grow and bloom. Here's to an even more successful year, next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I'm looking forward to reading more adventures of Minnie and Lotus, I'm sure you can't wait for the pitter patter of little hooves!

      Delete
  5. Strangely, we have been living life in parallel. I too started my blog in Jan 2012 also started knowing nothing about blogging and the world it opens up. I too have become a farmer (sort of) having moved from the city to 800 acres. I could have written this post myself. All the best for 2013

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in awe of your brave move to 800 acres Louise! Can't wait to hear more about your adventure this coming year.

      Delete
  6. You have such an exciting blog. It has been great fun reading even though I only found you a few months ago. Indeed it really has been a fun filled year for you and I am sure it will be even more fun in 2013

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for following me and for your lovely comment! Have a fantastic year.

      Delete