02 September 2012

Today in the City Garden

So far it's been perfect Spring weather (OK, I know it's only Day 2!!)  The Mallee Gum that was planted a few years ago in the front garden has just started to flower for the first time.  I was out in the City Garden early today for a bit of Spring cleaning and doing some of the planting that I haven't been inspired to do over the last few weeks of miserable weather.


I finally gave up on the peas that have been well and truly munched by the local possums, so removed them and planted some potatoes in their place (Kind Edwards and Pink Fir Apples).  Then I planted some more in an empty chicken feed bag, to try the technique of gradually filling the bag up with mulch and compost as the potato plants grow up.  I also planted out a tray full of herb seeds from seeds I saved last summer, and chicken-proofed what is left of the herb garden.  Yesterday at the market there was some beautiful tumeric, so I bought a piece to plant and see if the City Garden will be warm enough to grow it.  That went into the herb garden as well. 

The City Garden is usually at its best in mid October, but already there's a promise of what's to come:
The Hellebores are quietly flowering in the
shady corners of the garden
OK, this is cheating, this beautiful orchid was actually grown
by my grandfather, but it is in a vase on my dining table...! 
Bay Tree flowers
I have no idea what this plant is, but it's a huge bushy thing
that is really sturdy and full of purple flowers all year round.
The minute the sun comes out it's also full of very happy bees.
The echiums are always in full bloom in mid October,
but are clearly on their way already
The nectarine just needs a bit more sun... already there are more
flower buds on it this afternoon than there were this morning
Not sure if this is technically a flower, but the
Purple Sprouting Broccoli is...sprouting!

8 comments:

  1. As long as buds count then I think your PSB is definitely a flower. Re: the turmeric - I think it should grow - provided it doesn't rot before sprouting - mine tends to appear in November/December so if you don't see it for awhile i wouldn't worry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was inspired by your post on growing tumeric when I saw it at the market yesterday Liz. I must admit I didn't really think about the best time of year to plant it, I just assumed Spring would be good! The bed it's in is reasonably dry, so hopefully it will be OK.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Purple Sprouting Broccoli, that's something to consider for our winter garden, it's very pretty! It's fun seeing Hellebores in September too, as we won't see any our garden again for some months. I suspect the bees are already impatient for the Echiums to bloom. When they're in flower around here, love to watch the bumble bees sporting blue pollen on their legs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I can highly recommend PSB, it's really delicious.

      The echiums are brilliant for attracting bees. From mid-Spring onwards the City Garden is full of bees, first the echiums, then the Crepe Myrtle flowering just in time for Christmas. I'd love to try a bee hive, there are plenty of people in inner-city Melbourne who have them, but I can't think of where I could put it that would be far enough out of the way, but still easily accessible.

      Delete
  3. my bay tree has never had flowers? why? Luckily we dont have possums here but I have a small village of rats living in my passionfruit vine, If you ever eat anything I make with passionfruit, rest assured they are market bought. And how tops are gum trees? I love love love them. Big gardening day in the alps of Templestowe next Saturday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only just noticed that the Bay tree is flowering. It's not really a tree yet, more just a couple of sticks with about a dozen leaves... and three flowers! Happy gardening on Saturday :-)

      Delete
  4. How exciting, Spring is here! I love the pictures of your plants coming into bud or flower. I have some tumeric from a harvest swap that I have been meaning to plant...you've just reminded me! I hope it's still ok! Happy growing to you : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, you got some tumeric at a harvest swap and next year you could harvest swap some of it for something else - what a great cycle! I'm sure your climate is far more suited for tumeric but hopefully it will grow here OK too.

      Delete