07 September 2012

Slow Living Month - August

It's well into September now and I'm running a little late with my regular post, but here it is finally, in pictorial form this month: The Slow Living Month journal that links in every month with Christine at Slow Living Essentials.  Pop over to Christine's blog and check out some of the other great slow living activities that people have been up to this month.
nourish
Lots of sourdough breadmaking this month...
prepare
...actually the breadmaking is getting so serious
I've started buying flour in bulk!
grow
Our three new garden beds arrived and I planted the first one
out with potatoes.  The other two will be planted with tomatoes
and capsicums in a few weeks when the weather stops dropping
below zero at night
This month I harvested silverbeet, kale, carrots, fennel, broccoli,
peas, celery, pak choy, rocket, radishes and the very first rhubarb.
Even though it was winter I still managed to harvest around 75%
 of our vegies.
green
All the girls are now laying, so we've stopped buying eggs!
The eggs are tiny but taste sensational, and the food
miles are... steps!
create
My granny blanket continues to grow slowly, slowly,
and I'm loving playing with my new camera to try to
work out how to control it rather than it controlling itself!
discover
What a porky month!  A delivery of half a pig by the lovely
Farmers Lauren of Bundarra Berkshires and Anna of
Plains Paddock Lamb, and then a farm tour of McIvor Farm!

I've been gathering up lots of great books to read this month.
Here's part of the stash.
enhance
My friend A and I launched our new website Whispered Workshops
 and have undertaken the first couple of workshops.  What a great way
to spend a fun afternoon with friends, share knowledge and learn
new skills.  Check out the site, we'd love you to get involved!
enjoy
Sunny days and discovering beautiful new places
in the countryside, all while getting to borrow a
beautiful sports car for the month
 - doesn't get better than that (but not so slow!!)

10 comments:

  1. Wow, awesome that you were able to grow 75% of your veg over winter. I'm still in a bit of a dither about winter veg here. It'll be spinach and cabbage all the way I think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still waiting for my cabbages to grow, at this rate they'll be summer vegetables! Silverbeet and cavelo nero have definitely been the baseline of my vegies this winter, with smaller quantities of other things to keep our meals from becoming too repetitive.

      Delete
  2. Your veggies look wonderful!

    You know you're getting serious about bread-making when you only by flour in 50lb sacks ;) Sourdough pushed me in that direction too. The barm needs feeding so often, those small bags at the grocery store were laughable! Then of course, once I had that much flour laying around, I had to bake more bread. It's a slippery slope, but a tasty one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it seems silly to feed the starter without actually making the bread! And seeing as there's so much flour in the kitchen, pastry and pasta dough seem sensible too - where will it end?!

      Delete
  3. You have had a lovely month. When you break it down into those categories you can really see the joy your life brings! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. I hadn't really thought about it like that, but doing this monthly journal is a great way to remind myself of everything that does happen that I really enjoy. :-)

      Delete
  4. Oh you are good, especially with the bread making, I keep saying I'm going to commit to making my own sour dough but somehow I never get round to it and I destroy the starter...I must keep a record of how much veg I'm buying compared with eating from the garden. I reckon its been about 60% from the garden over winter, although maybe more. 75% is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the look of your weekly updates you must be doing pretty well! I'm sure if you started looking at it in more detail it would be higher than you expect. Maybe you could add a percentage count to your regular posts?

      Delete
  5. I agree, I'm impressed with your winter harvest. I keep saying that I need to think about winter gardening, but I just haven't gotten that far yet. :-)

    What is that in your first photo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flowers are Australian natives called banksias, although not sure what sort, there are many types. They are in the garden around the Country Garden. It's full of many types of beautiful flowering plants at the moment, I should do a post on it!

      I'm not sure it's fair to compare our winter gardening with yours. As much as I moan about our winters, they are so mild and gently compared to yours. I'm in awe of anyone who manages to even consider the idea of gardening on those conditions!!

      Delete