20 May 2012

Long Term Planning

My growing awareness of food sustainability and interest in where foods come from, and how they have been grown and processed has made me realise that a lot of foods that I had always assumed were grown or made in Australia actually aren't, or are quite difficult to source locally and/or organically.

My ill-fated soybean growing experiment came out of the realisation after searching both at markets and online that there doesn't seem to be anyone in Australia growing them commercially for sale in small quantities.  Another item that I've trawled the supermarket shelves for is Australian-grown pine nuts.  Most seem to come from China, and the rest from Spain.  When the latest Diggers Club catalogue arrived I noticed that they are actually selling the tree that the nuts come from (Pinus Pinea), so in a moment of enthusiasm we ordered one.

This is what the trees look like
(photo from Diggers Club website)
...and this is the one we've just planted...
should be harvesting our first pine nuts any
day now I reckon...!

8 comments:

  1. So very true. The only way I have felt confident buying non-imported fruit and veg was going to a farmers market. I frequently go to the Adelaide Central Market, for convenience, and it's hard to know where the food originates from. Why do we have to import so much food. The one that kills me is oranges from the USA!!!!
    I think you'll be harvesting pinenuts anyday ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And asparagus from Peru! I guess part of the answer lies in becoming familiar with seasonal foods, understanding when we can get local oranges, and asking before buying. I do love the Adelaide Market, I always pop in there if I'm in Adelaide, it has a great vibe.

      Delete
  2. Oh interesting... we get our pine nuts from the Pinon Pine... so delicious.

    http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/trans-p/nature/images/pinon.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting. I think there must be a few because the spanish nuts look quite different from the Chinese ones, so I presume they are different trees as well.

      Delete
  3. When I was a kid we used to collect pine nuts from the under the trees at Queenscliff. Amazing that they have been growing there so long but yet there still isn't a real industry here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we'll be well and truly in our rocking chairs by the time that pesto is ready! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. You can sit in it under the shade of the big tree though!!

      Delete